Head of Procurement
Head of Procurement – Carlisle – Attractive Salary and Benefits package available
Department: Group Legal Services
Reporting to: General Counsel & Secretary
Direct reports: TBC
As Head of Procurement this is an opportunity to join The Cumberland, a successful customer-owned business with a proud Cumbrian heritage. Having completed a 12 month end to end strategic review the Cumberland is investing significantly in deepening its capability and capacity across the business. Cumberland 2025, the outcome of our strategic review is designed to ensure that the business is sustainable and successful in its aim to deliver Brighter Banking from Cumbria. You will set and deliver a procurement and supplier management strategy aligned to the Cumberland 2025 strategic vision, shaping and leading an agile team, becoming a trusted, valued partner to the business on strategic procurement projects. The experience on offer will allow you to make a real difference to The Cumberland while forging a career as part of the team creating a sustainable future delivering Brighter Banking From Cumbria.
Key Working Relationships
- Senior Leadership Team (in particular, Chief Financial Officer, Chief Operating Officer and Chief Customer Officer)
- Key Suppliers/Strategic Partners
- In-house Legal Team
- Finance Team
Main Responsibilities as Head of Procurement
- Strategy – Supporting the Cumberland 2025 vision by setting and maintaining a procurement supplier management strategy aligned to the strategic plan.
- Leadership – Leading a small and agile procurement function in partnership with and leveraging the wider legal & governance team in a way that is relevant to the business and its transformation journey.
- Procurement Transformation – Transforming current procurement practices by designing and implementing a procurement framework with best practice sourcing processes designed to transform & guide the way the business procures and obtains best value from suppliers.
- Supplier Management – Transforming supplier management by designing and implementing a relevant supplier management framework with best practice processes designed to ensure high performance and desired outcomes.
- Strategic Procurement – Supporting the business in a hands on manner as a trusted and valued partner on strategic procurement projects by negotiating complex contracts and delivering robust commercial deals balancing price and value while meeting risk appetite and above all improving the customer experience.
- Contract Data – Providing efficient contract management and accurate contract and supplier data.
- Third Party Policies – Owning third party risk management policies and processes to identify and manage risks with suppliers.
- Risks and Controls – Delivering effective control of risks within your business area by regularly reviewing risk and controls and ensuring your team adhere to processes and procedures. Managing the risks inherent in procurement across the Cumberland through the delivery, management of and monitoring of procurement and supplier management frameworks which supports business owners.
- Accountable for delivering projects within budget.
- Accountable for setting accurate functional area budgets
- Accountable for delivering demonstrable value to the Cumberland through standardisation of procurement
Experience, Knowledge and Qualifications (Key qualifiers)
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in procurement and supply chain management (category management, contract negotiation and management, supplier selection and management).
- Experience of multi supplier environments as well as knowledge of a wide range of major suppliers, market knowledge, products and pricing models.
- A good understanding of commercial frameworks and comfortable working with new commercial models.
- Excellent knowledge of contract law.
- Experience of large scale IT procurement and operating in a regulated environment (eg SYSC8) would be a significant advantage
Skills, Abilities and Behaviours (Key competencies)
- A self-starter expecting to be ‘hands on’ delivering high quality output whilst working at pace.
- A team player who is a confident communicator with the ability to build effective and highly collaborative relationships with both internal & external stakeholders, and customers.
- The ability to analyse data and complex inputs to support sound business decisions.
- Forward Thinking – We embrace new ideas to continuously improve.
- Customer Led – We put our customers first in everything we do.
- Straight Forward – We work hard to make things simpler.
- Responsible – We do the right thing.
- Better Together – We work as one team.