Deputy Managing Director
CARR’S GROUP PLC
Deputy Managing Director – UK based – £six-figure basic + bonus / comprehensive benefits
A c£50M turnover division of Carr’s Group Plc, the Engineering division designs and manufactures specialist precision components, equipment, robotic goods and remote handling equipment, and provides technical services. The division has businesses in the UK, Germany and USA. These highly specialised products and services are supplied predominately into the nuclear, pharmaceutical and oil and gas markets. To support future growth, the business wishes to appoint a high calibre Deputy Managing Director.
Reporting to the Engineering Division Managing Director, this position will have full P&L and people responsibility for directing and controlling a number of the division’s operations in the UK and internationally (US / Germany). The role will carry responsibility for setting strategy and providing strategic guidance and direction to the Global Product Line to ensure the businesses achieve their financial objectives in line with the Group requirements and develop a sustainable long-term business model. The role will also include supporting the Divisional Managing Director to identify future opportunities for growth including acquisition opportunities.
- Prepare and develop strategic plans, with a key focus on growth and international expansion, and monitor progress against these plans to ensure that the Company attains its objectives as cost effectively and efficiently as possible.
- Provide strategic advice and guidance to the Carr’s Engineering Division senior management team and ensure all strategic and business plans are aligned with Group.
- Keep the Carr’s Engineering Division senior management team aware of developments within the industry and to ensure that the appropriate policies are developed to meet the Company’s objectives and to comply with all relevant statutory and other regulations.
- Direct and control the work and resources of the Company and ensure the recruitment and retention of the required numbers and types of well- motivated, trained and developed employees to ensure that it achieves its mission and objectives.
- Develop, promote and direct the implementation of equal opportunities policies in all aspects of the Company’s work.
Marketing & Customer Service:
- Establish and maintain effective formal and informal links with major customers, relevant government departments and agencies, authorities, key decision makers and other stakeholders generally, to exchange information and views and to ensure that the Company is providing the appropriate range and quality of services.
- Develop and maintain an effective marketing and public relations strategy to promote the products, services and image of the Company in the wider community.
Research & Development:
Develop and maintain research and development programmes to ensure that the Company remains at the forefront of innovation and technology in the industry, applies the most cost-effective methods and approaches, provides leading edge products and services and retains its competitive edge.
- Prepare, gain acceptance, and monitor the implementation of the annual budget to ensure that budget targets are met, that revenue flows are maximised and that fixed costs are minimised.
- Prepare, gain acceptance on Capital Expenditure budget for replacement and expansion that meets acceptable levels of return.
- To ensure that all policies and procedures in respect of Security and Health, Safety & Environment are adhered to, in order to provide a safe and secure environment for self, staff and customers
Preferably a qualified engineer, suitable candidates must be able to demonstrate a successful career that includes strong commercial awareness and international P&L responsibility as a director / senior manager in a medium – large engineering business or group. Experience will ideally include exposure to the nuclear and oil & gas sectors and direct involvement in acquisitions or joint ventures. Due to the international aspect of the role, the person must be able to commit to a significant degree of travel.
Candidates must also be able to demonstrate a number of key personal qualities and attributes, including:
- Inspirational and dynamic leadership
- Coaching and people development
- Strategic thinking and team focused
- Credibility at the highest level
- Modesty but confident and curious
In addition to a highly attractive salary and benefits package to attract candidates of the highest calibre, this role will offer the successful candidate an exciting opportunity to further develop their career in a progressive and acquisitive listed group.